The choice of training for farmers and trainee pest controllers to become recognised competent users and authorised purchasers of professional grade rodenticides has been updated in conjunction with the Campaign for Responsible Rodenticide Use UK (CRRU).
Lantra Awards has developed one Ofqual regulated ‘Lantra Awards Level 2 Award in Rodent Management’ to replace both ‘Rodent Control on Farms’ and ‘Responsible and Effective Control of Commensal Rodents’ certifications.
Head of CRRU Training and Certification Dr Matt Davies says rodenticide stewardship is strengthened by Ofqual regulation. “In addition to the new one from Lantra, RSPH and City & Guilds NPTC courses were already Ofqual regulated,” he says. “The remaining options are anticipated to meet this level of regulation soon.”
For farmers and pest control trainees, there are now seven courses in total, listed at training & certification . In each case, passing the end of course exam yields a formal qualification/certification accepted at point-of-sale for professional use rodenticides under the UK Rodenticide Stewardship Regime, operated by CRRU.
The seven courses are:
- RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Award in Pest Management
- RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Certificate in Pest Management
- City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides for Vertebrate Pest Control for Rats and Mice
- Lantra Awards Level 2 Award in Rodent Management
- Killgerm Principles of Rodent Control (Exam through BASIS)
- RSPH Level 2 Award in the safe use of rodenticides
- BPCA Using Rodenticides Safely (Exam through BASIS)
Separately from these, the BASIS Rat Control For Gamekeepers course also remains available.
View the list online here.